Our hair is made up of keratin and filaments contained in flat cells. The filaments are lengthy, imparting to the hair a long strand like appearance. Hair growth and survival go through three distinct stages that come one after the other. The stages are anagen, catagen, and telogen. Hair grows on every part of our body with the exception of soles of feet, palms of hand, lips and eyelids. In men, the hair growth is much more when compared to women. The male hormone testosterone promotes or triggers hair growth. Women usually have less body hair, but some may have much growth triggered by hormonal imbalance.
Body hair may be a cause of embarrassment for women and they may take recourse to techniques like waxing, using hair removal lotions, or shaving. But in men, it adds to their sex appeal. Today however both men and women are concerned not much about body hair but about the growth on their head. Every one wishes for healthy, glossy and voluminous hair, for it adds a ten fold to their appearance. Balding or thinning or graying of hair is dreaded by most of us, for it makes us look older and declines us appearance-wise to a large extent. Factors like genetics, hormonal imbalance, usage of blow dryers, hairstyling gels and curl irons, unsuitable PH of the water used for wash, aging may interfere with the normal cyclic process of hair growth leading to loss of hair.
Home Remedies to Trigger Hair Growth
1. Massaging with warm oil, say hot coconut oil or almond oil can impart a good health to the scalp and re-grow lost hair. It helps to maintain the hair’s natural moisture, and does away with problems like dullness, dryness and dandruff.
2. One may boil together Indian goose berry oil and coconut oil to prepare a massaging tonic. This induces growth.
3. Indian gooseberry, rich in Vitamin C, may be consumed raw. This also grows hair well and improves its health.
4. A drink of a mixture of lettuce and spinach juice promotes growth of hair.
5. Application of beaten egg on scalp and leaving it for 30 minutes before hair wash, can improve growth.
6. Application of a hair mask of curd and leaving it for 30 minutes before hair wash also improves growth.
7. Application of coconut milk on scalp and leaving it for 30 minutes before hair wash is a treatment conducive to growth.
8. A paste of pigeon pea and red gram may be applied on scalp. This is a good homemade remedy for hair growth.
9. One may mix the juice of Indian gooseberry and juice of lemon, apply on hair and scalp and leave it for 40 minutes before head wash. This induces hair growth.
10. One may soak fenugreek seeds over night; mash them in the morning to prepare a fine paste to be applied on hair on scalp. This treatment if followed twice a week; can bring about good hair growth.
11. One may apply onion juice on scalp and hair, and leave for 3-4 hours. This remedy encourages much hair growth.