Head lice are parasitic insects that thrive on the dead skin of scalp. They are brownish or gray in color. They feed on blood and lay eggs or nits that remain attached to hair shafts. They are wingless insects; they cannot fly or jump. It spreads through indirect contact like sharing pillows, hats, combs, towels etc. The risk of transmission accelerates in overcrowded places or due to close physical contact. Children are mostly victimized by this infestation owing to close physical contact during playing at play schools or nurseries. It has a short lifespan of 30 days. So their reproductive cycle is also quite rapid. They become mature within a week and lay eggs that hatch in another week.
One can notice this easily in the areas of scanty hair growth like nape of neck or behind the ears. Head lice infestation produce symptoms like severe itching, irritation, crusting and redness of scalp. This itching and craving of scratching occurs due to an allergic reaction of scalp to the saliva and excreta of lice.
Home Remedies For Head Lice
1. Mix lemon juice and butter and apply the mixture on scalp and hair. Rinse after 15 minutes. This will remove head lice.
2. Massage your head with mayonnaise and comb after 2 hours. This will allow easy extraction of lice and nits.
3. Apply Listerine mouth wash on hair and scalp. This will destroy the lice and nits.
4. Washing hair with vinegar is a popular anti-lice remedy.
5. Put 12-15 drops of tea tree oil in to shampoo bottle and use it every day. This will free you from lice problem.
6. Apply olive on hair, wear a plastic cap and leave overnight. In the morning extract dead lice with a lice comb. Repeat this every 10 days. This is an effective home remedy for head lice
7. Mingle 2 tablespoons each of lemon juice and garlic paste. Apply the mixture on scalp. After 30 minutes, rinse off with cold water. This will kill lice and nits.
8. Make a paste of margosa leaves; apply on hair and scalp. Allow drying and then wash off. This is a good lice cure.
9. Soak 10-12 almonds in water. Later grind them to a smooth paste. Add 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice to the paste and apply it on scalp and hair. Wash with cold water after 2 hours. This will eliminate all head lice.
10. Application of basil leaf paste on scalp and hair also fetches rewarding results.
11. Massage Vaseline on scalp and hair. Wear a shower cap and keep overnight. Next morning rinse off with herbal shampoo. This is useful head lice remedy.
12. Apply onion juice on scalp and hair. Keep for 3 hours and then wash off thoroughly. The juice contains sulfur that destroys all lice and nits.
13. Mix powdered camphor with freshly extracted coconut oil. Apply it on hair and scalp and wrap a cloth bandage on head. Keep overnight. Wash off with herbal shampoo the next morning. This solves the problem of head lice infestation
14. Grind raw custard apple along with seeds and little water to make a paste. Apply it on scalp and hair, wear a shower cap and keep overnight. Next morning, wash off with shampoo. This is an effective head lice treatment.