Throat infection is a very common problem. It affects most of the people whether young or old. It is the inflammation in the throat. One may have sore throat, pharyngitis or tonsillitis. It is the infection of the upper respiratory tract.
Throat infection can create pain in the throat. It causes inflammation and redness. Swelling of the tonsils or swelling of the pharynx occurs during an infection. It can lead to breathing problems. Swallowing can be painful and difficult. Throat infection can be accompanied by cough and fever. Most of the people suffer from this infection because of the weather conditions, especially during the winters. Throat infection can be caused by the weather or due to allergies. Allergy to dust, pollens or animals can cause irritation in the throat. Pollution or smoke also triggers off this condition in some people.
Throat infection can be due to the presence of bacteria, virus or fungal. The most common is viral. Maximum throat infections are due to a virus. It can be contagious and can be passed on from one person to another by sneezing or coughing. The other kind of infection is bacterial. It is also called Strep throat because the most common bacterial throat infection is caused by the bacteria named Streptococcus, hence the name.
The infection which is initiated by external environmental factors is not contagious. Some of the symptoms of throat infection are: pain in throat, cough, fever, inflamed gland present in throat, swelling of tonsils, pain while swallowing, bad breath, pain while talking or loss of voice. There is a constant irritation or pain in the throat.
While there are many antibiotics available in the market for throat infection, some home remedies help to ease of the pain and swelling cause by throat infection. Some of the home remedies are as follows.
1. Salt water: Salt water gargles are the most common and easy remedy for sore throat. Take a glass of lukewarm water and mix little salt in it. Gargle regularly with this water.
2. Ginger: Ginger is very beneficial. Drinking ginger tea can help the throat and give a soothing effect.
3. Soup: Warm soup soothes the throat. It is easy to swallow too.
4. Garlic: Garlic helps fight infection.
5. Basil: Boil basil leaves in water. Strain this and drink it regularly or gargle with it.
6. Tea: Boil tea leaves in water and strain. This mixture can be gargled with or taken sip by sip as a drink.
7. Turmeric: Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric can be added to warm milk and drink this before sleeping. It relieves the throat and gives soothing effect.
8. Honey: Honey and little ginger juice mixed helps and soothes the throat. 1 tablespoon can be taken regularly.
9. Bland food: Bland food is easier to eat and swallow rather than rich spicy food during infection.
One should have lots of water and build up the immunity system so that such infections don’t bother you often. Try to avoid having cold water and cold food. Have food which is easy to swallow. Avoid smoking and avoid intake of caffeine. Do not eat oily food since it can aggravate the infection.