Cholesterol is one of the words that make us shudder, as their reputation is very bad because of the damage it causes to the body. We certainly have to keep you distance, although it is worth remembering what it is and how to control it.
Cholesterol is a fatty compound that although manufactured by complex biochemical processes in the bod, can also be administered by feeding. Its main function is to protect cell membranes throughout the body, but also involved in the absorption and transport of fats, has the ability to disable some toxic substances and provide other healthy better use, such as vitamin D (is formed in the skin by exposure to the sun, fixed calcium in bones and prevents tooth decay) or one’s own sex hormones.
Its transport environment is veins and arteries, where it combines with proteins to form lipoproteins calls, which are classified according to their density:
* HDL. High density or good cholesterol, responsible for preventing the formation of atheroma (fatty buildup in the form of small balls or lumps in arteries and veins) and bring this compound to the liver to be processed properly.
* LDL. Low density or bad cholesterol, that invades cells and accumulates on the walls of the arteries (atherosclerosis recognized as problem), which become stiff and narrow for the free passage of the blood, which is the reason for not arrive in sufficient quantity so important organs such as the brain or heart and really earn serious problems such as heart attack or angina, among others.
As noted above, an important way to accumulate cholesterol is through food, mainly foodstuffs of animal origin and containing what nutritionists call saturated fats found in red meat, eggs and most dairy products, the same specialists recognize another category to which they belong unsaturated fats, found in vegetable oils, avocado, chicken, fish and nuts, among others, and does not favor the accumulation of cholesterol and participate in their elimination.
Obviously think that if anything we appreciate our health, we cherish the excessive consumption of saturated fats to avoid triggering the so-called hypercholesterolemia, i.e. excess cholesterol in the blood.
Now, this does not mean stop eating, but do it healthier, for which we offer the following suggestions:
* Cut down on foods high in sugar and refined flour, for compounds containing saturated fats. Examples are bread, pasta and chips.
* Eat foods high in fiber, as these favors the reduction of bad cholesterol levels without affecting the good. The best known are lentils, almonds, corn, potato peels, carrots (raw), broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, guava, mango, plum, pear and apple with peel, papaya, lemon, orange, grapefruit and raisins, among others.
* Practice exercise, according to their age and physical condition, as it has been shown to increase levels of good cholesterol.
* Increase intake of whole grains (wheat, rice, oats and rye, etc.), as they contain fiber.
* Avoid salt, because it facilitates the formation of atheroma.
* Decrease intake of whole milk or cream, and cream, chocolate, coconut or palm oil, as they have large amounts of saturated fats.
* Alcohol and snuff reduce levels of good cholesterol, so it should not consume them.
* Try incorporating garlic to your meals, it prevents the formation of atheromas and promotes good circulation.
* Nuts such as walnuts and almonds contain unsaturated fats, with the benefits that have been identified.
* Grapefruit contains a galacturonic acid soluble fiber that helps remove bad cholesterol and atheroma dissolve already formed, so it is recommended to eat every day.
* Prefer olive oil as a dressing for salads or for frying certain foods, it has been shown to increase good cholesterol, is nutritious and antioxidant, i.e. fight free radicals (compounds that accelerate the aging of cells) in addition to has very good taste.
Remember to cook food with little salt and sugar, and prefer grilled foods or steamed instead of fried. Raw vegetables and fruit juices should be consumed at the time of preparation, as this will leverage all its nutrients and prevented from oxidation (free radicals directly attack the cell membrane, which causes it to accelerate its process aging).
Remember that consistency is great ally to deal with cholesterol, which for our sake you have to save a lot of respect.