Deformity produced as a result of rubbing of the bones against each other due to the absence of cartilage between them is known as osteoarthritis. Some of the causes of osteoarthritis are old age, unusual stress on a joint due to repetitive activity, genetic factors and obesity. Symptoms may include inflammation and pain in the affected area.
Osteoarthritis Home Remedies
There are several home remedies for osteoarthritis which are simple to follow and can be very effective if used in proper manner. Some of the popular home remedies for osteoarthritis are:
1. One of the effective home remedies for osteoarthritis is to massage the area gently. A massage can soothe the muscle spasm, improve blood circulation, reduces tension, pain, inflammation and stiffness.
2. Do not get involved in activities which put unwanted stress and strain to the joints.
3. Drink fresh juice of apple and carrot on regular basis. These fruits are rich in essential nutrients and help in treating osteoarthritis.
4. One of the most effective home remedies for osteoarthritis is the use of ginger. Ginger is known to have anti-inflammatory property and is very helpful in curing osteoarthritis. You can either have ginger tea or consume it in any form in order to benefit from it.
5. White willow is very effective in giving relief from the pain caused by osteoarthritis.
6. Warm some mustard oil or sesame oil and add powders of garlic, turmeric and camphor into it. Mix them well and use as a homemade massage oil on the affected area.
7. Sesame seeds are also very helpful in treating osteoarthritis. All you need to do is take a glass of water and soak some black sesame oil in it. Leave it to steep overnight. Next morning drink this water with seeds.
8. Mustard oil is considered to be very good massage oil. It provides warmth and strength to the muscles and joints of the body and helps in giving relief from the pain. Therefore make it a daily routine to massage the affected area by mustard oil. Or you can even add camphor to the mustard oil which will give you relief from swelling, inflammation and pain.
9. Overweight people are more likely to suffer from osteoarthritis because their excess weight increases the pressure and stress on hips and the knees which are the weight bearing joints. Therefore they should try to reduce some weight which will reduce the pain by relieving the pressure from weight bearing joints.
10. You can even try using some assistive device to make it easy for you to walk without putting any kind of stress on your painful joint. Use cane or walking stick while you are walking.
11. Onion is also very beneficial in treating osteoarthritis. All you need to do is take some onion and make then into a paste. Now apply it on your joint. This will give you relief from the pain and help in treating osteoarthritis.
12. You can even massage affected area by applying a paste of garlic and almonds.
The above mentioned home remedies were some of the best home remedies which are effective and safe to use at home.