The order for demolition of Adarsh issued by Jairam Ramesh, Minister of State for Environment & Forests (MOEF) is indeed good news. We need to applaud Mr Ramesh for having shown spunk and spine in passing such an order. Also, we need to publicly support him. Widespread public support for this decision will be crucial because in coming days, he (and others such as Chief Minister of Maharashtra) will come under tremendous pressure to reverse this order.
Download draft of letter: http://tinyurl.com/MOEFAdarsh
This letter (also copy-pasted below) has postal addresses of Mr Ramesh, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, NAC Chairman Sonia Gandhi and MOEF Secretary.
In addition to dispatching this letter by SPEEDPOST, please EMAIL & FAX your support to the following:
1) Secretary, MOEF, Paryavaran Bhavan, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 110003 (Telephone:+91-11- 24360605, 24360570, 24360519) email: email@example.com
2) Email Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh Jairam54@gmail.com
3) Post a message to Jairam Ramesh at http://moef.nic.in/modules/contact-ministry/contact-ministry/
4) Post a message to Prime Minister at http://pmindia.nic.in/write.htm
5) Send fax to Prithviraj Chavan, Chief Minister (Off) 22025151, 22025222, Fax: 22029214
(Res) 23633051, 23634950, Fax: 23631446
6) Send fax to Prin. Secretary to CM — 22021850, 22020500, Fax: 22821237
DRAFT OF LETTER
17th January 2011
Mr Jairam Ramesh
MOS, Ministry of Environment and Forests
CGO complex, Lodhi Road
New Delhi 110 003
Citizens support your decision to demolish Adarsh, and demand demolition of other illegal structures constructed without MOEF’s prior approval
We, the people of India, congratulate you for taking a firm stand on Adarsh. We support your decision to demolish Adarsh building instead of condoning and regularizing it. Your words and action have come as a ray of hope to all law-abiding citizens in this New Year. Please do not stop with Adarsh; order the demolition of all constructions where MOEF’s prior approval has not been sought.
We urge the Central and State Government to extend ground-support to you, and demolish Adarsh and also other such illegal structures. We expect them to also take a hard look at all the structures that have come up without other NOCs, clearances, permissions etc. and in an unlawful manner.
Over the past decade or two, citizens have all-but-given-up hope of an upright administration. Land-grabbers, shady builders & developers, hawker-lobbies and crooked politicians have hijacked town planning. As a result, Sir, each and every kilometer our cities have the ragged slum-like appearance. Our cities are no longer be a good place to live in and work in.
We are now a bit hopeful that your government is serious about ending the free run that unscrupulous elements have had all these years. Your principled stand has given us reason to hope that at least in the states where the Congress Party enjoys a majority, you (and others like you) will be able to ensure that clean and wholesome town-planning will prevail over commercial gain, political expediency and corruption.
We do realize that there will be tremendous pressures on you to give in to expediency. Please uphold our confidence by holding onto your principled stand, and not deserting it halfway..
We do realize that there is a collective price to be paid for all such demolitions, but unless we, as a nation, bite the bullet and carry out these necessary reforms on the ground, the drift towards unlawful building activity can never cease.
So, thank you once again, and a big thumbs-up to you from around the country.
(Your signature, name, address, phone number)
1) Mr Prithviraj Chavan, Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mantralaya, 6th Floor, Madame Cama Road, Mumbai 400032
2) Dr Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister, South Block, New Delhi - 110001.
3) Mrs Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson, National Advisory Committee, 10 Janpath, New Delhi - 110001.
4) Secretary, MOEF, Paryavaran Bhavan, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110003