|DesiClub’s Top 25 Bollywood Sex Symbols of All Time: The Men|
25. Kishore Kumar: Abhas Kumar Ganguli, better known as Kishore Kumar, was born on August 4, 1929 in Khandwa, India. He traveled to Mumbai in hopes of becoming a famous playback singer. He began his Bollywood career at age 18 singing for the 1948 Dev Anand film, “Ziddi.” Even though Kishore showed promise in his chosen field, he was unwillingly pulled into acting and did a string of successful films like “Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi” (1958), “Mr. X in Bombay” (1964) and the comedy masterpiece “Padosan” (1964) with Bollywood’s most sought after leading ladies Saira Banu and Madhubala. Known for his golden voice and eccentric personality, Kishore Kumar ruled the film industry as a singer and actor for forty years. Kishore Kumar was also a composer, producer and to this day, he is one of India’s greatest singers of all time.
Why He’s Sexy: Kishore Kumar is sexy because of his evergreen voice and his astounding ability to make people laugh. He’s sung Bollywood’s most memorable ballads like “Bari Sooni Sooni Hai, Zindagi Yeh Zindagi” (“Mili”, 1975), “O Mere Dil Ke Chain” (“Mere Jeevan Saathi”, 1972) and the soulful “O Saathi Re” (“Muqaddar Ka Sikandar”). The four time married Kumar was also a ladies man.
His Impact on Bollywood: He’s responsible for making Amitabh Bachchan and Rajesh Khanna into Box Office kings. Shah Rukh Khan also did a tribute concert in his honor by reenacting some of his classic songs.
Interesting Fact: All four of Kishore Kumar’s wives before marrying him, lived in the Mumbai Bandra area. This is why he nicknamed his wives “bandriyas” (monkeys).
24. Sunny Deol: Dharmendra’s oldest son, Ajay Singh Deol, better known as Sunny Deol, was born on October 19, 1956, in Delhi. His first film “Betaab” (1983) with Amrita Singh made him into a bona fide action hero. He then went onto making mega hit films like “Arjun” (1985) with his long time partner Dimple Kapadia, “Tridev” (1989) with Madhuri Dixit, and “Ghayal” (1990) with Meenakshi Sheshadri. “Ghayal” gave Sunny the recognition he needed as an actor because he won his first award for the film. In the last 10 years, he’s acted in amazing films like “Gadar: Ek Prem Katha” (2001) with Amisha Patel, “23rd March 1931: Shaheed” (2002) with Amrita Singh, “The Hero” (2003) with Preity Zinta and is currently in “Jo Bole So Nihaal” with Shilpi Mudgal.
Why He’s Sexy: Sunny Deol is sexy because he has all the qualities of an action hero. He’s maintained his rock hard body and boyish charm for over twenty years. He also has a soothing voice and the ability to charm women with his smile.
His Impact on Bollywood: He’s the action King of Bollywood and is constantly playing tragic heroes torn by political or relationship turmoil.
Interesting Fact: Sunny’s biggest hit to date is “Gadar: Ek Prem Katha,” which is based on India’s partition movement.
23. Jeetendra: Ravi Kapoor, better known as “Jumping Jack” Jeetendra was India’s undisputed dance king. He brought forth a new kind of sex symbol, women of the 1960′s screamed over him. Born April 7, 1942 in the birth place of Bollywood, Jeetendra’s first film was the 1964 “Geet Gaya Pattharonne,” which failed to give him recognition until the 1967 classic “Farz,” costarring Babita, Karisma and Kareena Kapoor’s mother. He’s acted in over two hundred films and had men copying his trademark mullet and large rimmed sunglasses.
Why He’s Sexy: Looking back at classic Jeetendra films, one might wonder how he gave the women of India fits of hysteria. His pants were too tight and all he did was dance atrociously. But back in his day, India had never seen someone dance like him. He would wildly wiggle his pelvis and do summersaults during dance sequences. He represented something forbidden and sexual, which made him a favorite with the ladies.
His Impact on Bollywood: Since he’s acted in over two hundred films, Jeetendra is the only actor to costar with India’s top Bollywood actresses over three decades. He’s acted with divas like Hema Malini, Rekha, Jayaprada and his favorite costar Sridevi.
Interesting Fact: Twenty five years after the release of “Karz,” Tushar Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor tried to copy their parent’s box office success with the film “Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai.”
22. Saif Ali Khan: Saif Ali Khan was born into Bollywood royalty and is known as the Chota Nawab. Son of Bengali beauty Sharmila Tagore and Indian cricketer Mansoor Ali Khan, Saif was born on Augsut 16, 1970 in Delhi. He is Bollywood’s answer to Brooklyn Beckham, Posh and David’s son. During the start of his career, critics labeled him as too feminine since he has his mother’s delicate Bengali features. But his career started out with a bang in his first film “Aashiq Awara” (1993) with then sex symbol Mamta. Shortly after the film’s release, he paired up with Akshay Kumar in a few hit films like “Yeh Dillagi” (1994) co-starring Kajol, “Main Khiladi Tu Anari” (1994) with Shilpa Shetty and “Tu Chor Main Sipahi” (1996) with Tabu. Near the end of the 90′s and in the new millennium, Saif’s career took off to major heights. With the release of major box office hits like “Hum Saath Saath Hain” (1999), “Dil Chahta Hai” (2001), “Kal Ho Na Ho” (2003), “Hum Tum” (2004), and currently in the Bengali novel turned screenplay “Parineeta” (2005), he is making his mark as a leading Bollywood sex symbol.
Why He’s Sexy: Saif is sexy because he is India’s answer to the metrosexual male. He’s clean cut, has great hair and comes from parents with impressive family backgrounds. His mother is not only one of Bollywood’s most beautiful women, she comes from the prestigious Tagore family, Nobel Prize winning author Rabindranath Tagore’s granddaughter. His father is Mansoor Ali Khan, who was a top notch Indian cricketer. He plays the guitar and drums and was schooled in the UK.
His Impact on Bollywood: Saif along with Aamir Khan and Akshaye Khanna created fashion trends that changed the look of Bollywood’s leading men. You can see Desi men either styling their hair or wearing something Saif’s worn in a movie.
Interesting Fact: Saif’s marriage to actress Amrita Singh caused major controversy within his family and the industry as she was much older than him. He is currently divorced and is dating an Italian beauty. Because of his amazing sense of style, he’s an icon within India’s gay community.
21. Raj Kapoor: Raj Kapoor was one of India’s most influential film personalities. He acted, produced and directed some of Bollywood’s most beloved movies. Son of screen legend Prithviraj Kapoor, he was born on December 14, 1924 in Peshawar. The Kapoor clan is one of Bollywood’s royal families. His acting career has seen astounding heights with films that co-starred him with leading lady Nargis: “Andaz” (1949), “Awaara” (1951), and “Sree 420″ (1955). He also amazed movie goers with his acting ability in classic films like “Sangam” (1964) with Vyjayanthimala and “Mera Naam Joker” (1970) with Simi Garewale. In the later half of his career, he went behind the camera under the RK Banner and produced some of India’s most memorable films.
Why He’s Sexy: Raj Kapoor was sexy because he made you feel everything his character emoted. He also had an acute sense of what was sexy on screen when it came to his film’s leading ladies. He was responsible for Zeenat Aman’s “barely there” look in the classic movie “Satyam Shivam Sundaram.”
His Impact on Bollywood: Aside from his formidable acting career, under the RK Banner Raj Kapoor is responsible for memorable films like “Bobby” (1973), “Ram Tere Ganga Maili” (1985) and “Henna” (1989). He’s an icon outside of India also, within Russia and China. Many of his films are dubbed in Russian because his films appealed to people from all social backgrounds. His characters represented Marxist ideology, because he often played the common man.
Interesting Fact: Chairman Mao was a huge fan of Raj Kapoor because of his cinematic depiction of the proletariat. His films were one of the few outside influences Chairman Mao accepted during China’s Cultural Revolution.
20. Mithun Chakraborty: Kolkata born, Mithun Chakraborty’s career has seen both highs and lows for the past thirty years. Born on June 16, 1947, Mithun at one point rivaled the success of Amitabh Bachchan. His first film “Mrigayaa” (1976), won him the national award for his portrayal of a lower caste man fighting for the right of higher education. After the triumph of his first film, Mithun struggled to repeat history with another hit until the super success of the cult classic “Disco Dancer” (1982) with Rita Oberoi. This movie made him a cultural icon and brought the Disco era to 1980′s India. His other successful films include “Boxer” (1984) with Rati Agnihotri, “Commando” (1988) with Mandakini, “Dalaal”, (1993) with Ayesha Jhulka and this year he recently appeared in “Lucky: No Time For Love” and “Elaan.”
Why He’s Sexy: Mithun is sexy because at the height of his career, he was tall, dark and handsome. Women lusted after him, where men attempted to dance like him. He was India’s answer to John Travolta as India’s Disco King. He also appealed to India’s rural movie goers.
His Impact on Bollywood: Mithun Chakraborty is a movie making industry on his own. He has a private location in Ooty where filmmakers can shoot films for much cheaper than high priced Mumbai. Even though Mithun is mostly known as a “B” grade hero, he has had a super successful movie career without the worries of a Box Office bomb.
Interesting Fact: There’s a Russian based website dedicated to Mithun, who was also a major action hero in the former USSR.
19. Jackie Shroff: Jai Kishen, better known as Jackie, was born on February 1, 1957 in Mumbai. This model turned actor first made his mark as a Bollywood action hero in the aptly titled Subhash Ghai film “Hero” (1983) with Meenakshi Sheshadri. He’s had mega hit films with Bollywood beauty Madhuri Dixit in “Tridev” (1989), “Ram Lakhan” (1989), “Parinda” (1989), “100 Days” (1991), and “Kal Nayak” (1993). He’s also had major box office success in films like “Aaina” (1993) costarring Juhi Chawala, “Rangeela” (1995) with Urmila, “Border” (1997) with Tabu, “Lajja” (2001) with Manisha, “Devdas” (2002) with Aishwarya, and the 2004 hit film “Hulchul.”
Why He’s Sexy: Jackie is sexy because of his portrayal of an honest and refined man in his films. He’s 6 feet tall and super cool. He’s had all sorts of women, including his female costars, lusting after him because of his magnetic charm.
His Impact on Bollywood: Even though he’s acted in two hero based movies, he’s won many awards for his roles as a costar. He is someone who’s hard not to notice in any film, even if he isn’t the male lead.
Interesting Fact: Most of Jackie’s hit films either costarred Madhuri Dixit or Anil Kapoor. Anil Kapoor’s rebellious characters would often play a foil to Jackie’s moral characters; where as Madhuri either played his love interest or acted alongside him in various love triangle plot based movies.
18. Anil Kapoor: Anil Kapoor, born on December 24, 1959 in Chembur, India, is distantly related to Raj Kapoor, his father and Raj Kapoor were cousins. He is one of Bollywood’s most versatile actors, acting in a span of both commercial and art house films. In 1982, he had a small role in the Amitabh classic “Shakti,” which caused people to take notice of his amazing acting ability. He’s had major success in films like “Saaheb” (1985) with Amrita Singh, “Janbaaz” (1986) with Dimple Kapadia, and the classic film “Mr. India” (1987) with Sridevi. In the later half of his career, Anil Kapoor had mega box office success with screen legend Madhuri Dixit. Together, they had super hits like “Tezaab” (1988), “Ram Lakhan” (1989), “Parinda” (1989), and in the 90′s “Kishen Kanaiya” (1990), “Beta” (1992), “Pukar” (2000) and “Lajja” (2001). His second favorite female lead was Sridevi, who later married his brother Boney Kapoor.
Why He’s Sexy: Anil Kapoor is sexy because of his ability to play versatile roles. He can go from playing an action hero to a mentally challenged person with ease. Not only is he a great actor, he’s also an amazing dancer, which is proven in “Ram Lakhan.”
His Impact on Bollywood: In 2001, he won India’s National Award for his performance in “Pukar,” which is one of the many awards given to him.
Interesting Fact: His biggest influence as an actor was Raj Kapoor and he chose roles that were similar to the ones Raj Kapoor played. In the movie “Lamhe” (1991), there’s an entire song sequence dedicated to Raj Kapoor.
17. Arjun Rampal: Born on November 26, 1972, Arjun Rampal was an Indian super model before he stepped onto the big screen. In 1994, he won the award for Society Magazine’s face of the year and was sought after by international fashion houses for his runway work. Being in the modelling industry is hard work and Arjun believed that his shelf life as a model would have expired after age 22. He then began an acting career and was instantly proclaimed as one of Bollywood’s heart throbs. His debut was in “Pyaar Ishq Aur Mohabaat” (2001) with Kirti Reddy, which flopped at the box office but still brought in hordes of female movie goers. His first major hit after a string of flop films was the big budget caper “Aankhen” (2002) with Sushmita Sen, he then went on to doing “Dil Hai Tumhaara” (2002) with Preity Zinta, “Dil Ka Rishta” (2003) with Aishwarya Rai and this year acted in “Elaan” with Lara Dutta.
Why He’s Sexy: Arjun Rampal is sexy because he has perfect features; he’s 6 feet tall and has a smoking hot body.
His Impact on Bollywood: Even though Arjun Rampal has had a rocky career, he’s causing sleepless nights for Bollywood’s leading men, who need to step up there game when it comes to personal appearance. Bollywood’s leading men are now working out and dressing better than they used to, some say, to keep up with him.
Interesting Fact: In 2002, Arjun Rampal won the International Indian Film Academy award for face of the year.
16. Abhishek Bachchan: Abhishek Bachchan is the son of two of Bollywood’s most influential icons. His parents are none other then Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bhaduri. Born on February 5, 1976, he grew up with a life full of privileges and had India’s most sought after actor for a father, which was difficult to deal with at the start of his acting career. He dropped out of the University of Boston, because he wanted to have a memorable acting career like his father. His first film “Refugee” (2000) with Kareena Kapoor was a perfect debut, which showcased his acting ability. It wasn’t until “Yuva” (2004) with Rani Mukherjee, four years after his debut, that Abhishek had a hit film and even beat his father at the Filmfare Awards. With the super success of “Dhoom” (2004) with Esha Deol, he finally became one of Bollywood’s A list actors. He’s also riding high with the success of “Bunty Aur Babli” (2005), again with Rani Mukherjee and in another action packed film “Dus” (2005) with Shilpa Shetty. He is also filming “Dhoom 2″ with Bengali bombshell Bipasha Basu.
Why He’s Sexy: Abhishek is sexy because he is 6’3″ and is almost a spitting image of his father. He’s also trilingual, speaking Hindi, French and English. His overall sex appeal has improved with time and maturity because he is finally stepping out of his father’s shadow.
His Impact on Bollywood: He is one of the very few actors that can come up against Amitabh Bachchan during an awards show and win. Not very many people can say they have the acting chops to do that.
Interesting Fact: During the filming of “Sholay,” his mother was five months pregnant with him and now he is currently being considered to reprise his father’s role of Jay, in the Ram Gopal Varma remake.
15. Dino Morea: Dino Morea is super sexy and has the bad boy image going for him. He’s half Italian and half Indian, but 100% sexy. Born on December 9, 1975 in Bangalore, like Arjun Rampal, he too was an Indian super model. His first hit film was “Raaz” (2002) with the super sexy Bipasha Basu, which made people take notice of his stunning features. He also acted in another thriller “Baaz” the year after with Karisma Kapoor, which was a psychological thriller. His next major film is “Fight Club,” which will be released next year.
Why He’s Sexy: Dino is sexy because he has the best of both worlds, being biracial. In 1999, he won the Gladrags supermodel contest and he speaks fluent Italian, English and Hindi. How hot is that!?
His Impact on Bollywood: Because of his killer looks, he’s appeared in various Indian pop music videos for Alisha and Abhijeet. He is setting the bar for model turned actors within Bollywood because of his amazing physical appearance.
Interesting Fact: He once dated Bipasha Basu and is currently dating Karisma Kapoor’s husband’s ex-wife.
14. John Abraham: John Abraham is Bollywood’s first South Indian Christian lead actor, he initially had difficulty breaking into Bollywood because of his religious background. Ofcourse, most of Bollywood’s heartthrobs are Hindu, Muslim or Sikh. He comes from a unique family background since his father is from Kerala, South India and his mother is from Iran. Born on December 17, 1972 in Mumbai, John Abraham started out as a media planner for an ad agency then progressed onto modelling. From a lucrative modelling career, he moved onto acting in “Jism” (2003) with his current girlfriend, the super sexy Bipasha Basu. Even though “Jism” didn’t do that well at the box office, his acting along with the film’s steamy scenes, got people to take notice of his talent. Even though he’s done some amazing films like “Saaya” (2003) with Tara Sharma and “Paap” (2003) with Udita Goswami, his career as an action hero hit the industry with a BANG in the aptly titled “Dhoom” (2004) with Esha Deol. This year, John Abraham is hitting Bollywood full force with movies like “Kaal” (2005) with Lara Dutta. He also stars in the controversial Deepa Mehta film “Water” (2005) with Lisa Ray.
Why He’s Sexy: If a picture speaks a thousand words, I’m sure you can use them to describe how sexy John Abraham is. John Abraham is sexy because he’s 6’1″ and has a 32 inch waist with a 41 inch chest. He was India’s highest paid male super model and you can see what he and Bips spend a lot of time doing.
His Impact on Bollywood: Because of the mega success of “Dhoom,” where John Abraham is a thief zooming around in a Yamaha motorcycle, Yamaha India recently announced an ad campaign with him as their spokesperson. With his help, they have introduced two new motorbikes, CRUX S and the Libero LX City Cruiser.
Interesting Fact: He’s dated actresses Ria Sen and is currently dating Bipasha Basu, which means he has a thing for Bengali girls.
13. Hrithik Roshan: Hrithik Roshan is another star’s son. His father is actor turned filmmaker Rakesh Roshan. He is known as the perfect Bollywood actor when it comes to visual presentation because of his rock hard body, flawless face, green eyes and smooth speaking voice. His debut “Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai” (2000) with Amisha Patel caused “Hrithik mania,” which had girls within India and abroad lusting after him. After the success of “Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai,” his second hit film was “Fiza” (2000) with Karisma Kapoor, showing him as a versatile actor playing the role of a Muslim terrorist. Hrithik has also suffered from a few flops such as “Yaadein” (2001), but came back with a vengeance in the ever sappy “Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham” (2001), co-staring Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan. In 2003, Hrithik made another major comeback after a year and a half of awful films, with “Koi Mil Gaya” costarring Preity Zinta and won the hearts of critics and movie goers with his touching performance as a mentally challenged person. He is currently working on the sequel to his 2003 hit and also working on “Dhoom 2″ with Abhishek Bachchan.
Why He’s Sexy: Salman Khan was responsible for Hrithik’s look. Hrithik is sexy because Salman Khan taught him how to work out, eat healthy and sculpt his body. His female fans mobbed him after seeing his debut film and that same year he got 30,000 marriage proposals on Valentine’s Day!
His Impact on Bollywood: Not only is Hrithik Roshan one of Bollywood’s heartthrobs, he’s also done a lot of work behind the scenes as an associate director. He got behind the lens in blockbuster films “Karan Arjun” (1995) starring Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan and “Koyal” (1997) starring Shah Rukh Khan and Madhuri Dixit. At one point in his career, he was the highest paid actor in Bollywood because of his movies and endorsement deals, estimated at $5 million dollars.
Interesting Fact: At age 21, Hrithik Roshan was diagnosed with scoliosis and was told he could never be one of Bollywood’s leading action heroes. He proved everybody wrong because of his exercise regime.
12. Akshay Kumar: Rajiv Bhatia, better known as Akshay Kumar, stepped out of nowhere and hit Bollywood by storm. Born September 9, 1967 in India but raised in Thailand, he studied martial arts in Hong Kong then got into modelling. Unlike most male model turned actors, Akshay Kumar has a successful acting career and does his own stunts. His first hit was “Khiladi” (1992) with Ayesha Jhulka, which was one of many Akshay’s “Khiladi” movies. He also starred in “Deedar” (1992) with Karisma Kapoor, and had a super hit with “Yeh Dillagi” (1994) with Kajol. His performance in “Yeh Dillagi” landed him the role of Amar Saxsena in the classic 90′s film “Mohra,” with his then girlfriend Raveena Tandon. From “Mohra” he went onto hits like “Main Khiladi Tu Anari” (1994) with Shilpa Shetty, “Dil To Pagal Hai” (1997) with Madhuri Dixit, the super funny “Hera Pheri” (2000) with Tabu, “Dhadkan” (2000) with Shilpa Shetty, “Ek Rishtaa” (2001) with Karisma Kapoor and won the Filmfare Award for Best Villain in “Ajnabee” (2001). In the last year and a half, he’s proved himself as an amazing actor in both comedic and serious roles in “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi” (2004) with Priyanka Chopra and in the current box office smash “Waqt” (2005) costarring Priyanka Chopra. He was also memorable in “Bewafaa” (2005) with Kareena Kapoor, which was very touching to watch.
Why He’s Sexy: Akshay Kumar is sexy because he knows martial arts and also because he’s an awesome dancer. He was a player before he married Twinkle Khanna.
His Impact on Bollywood: Most of Akshay’s films have great soundtracks, which helped his career. His films had catchy songs like “Tu Cheez Badi Hai” from “Mohra” (1994), “Poster Lagwado Bazaar Mein” from “Aflatoon” (1997), “Mera Yaar Dildaar” from the movie “Janwaar” (1999), “Dil Ne Yeh Kaha Hai Yeh Dil Se” from the movie “Dhadkan” (2000), “Mehbooba, Mehbooba” from the movie “Ajnabee” (2001) and recently with “Aaja Soniye” from “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi” (2004). Not only is Akshay expressive while delivering dialogue, he is also very emotive during his song sequences, which makes an impact for his amazing screen presence.
Interesting Fact: Akshay personally invested in promoting his current movie “Waqt,” because the story was close to his heart. If all of Bollywood’s actors were this passionate about their films, we’d have better movies.
11. Shammi Kapoor: Shamsherraj, better known as Shammi Kapoor was considered India’s answer to Elvis Presley because of the way he gyrated his pelvis when he danced. Born in Mumbai on October 21, 1931 into the infamous Kapoor clan, he is Raj Kapoor’s brother. Growing up, Shammi Kapoor had a greasy moustache and didn’t look remotely attractive until his marriage to Geeta Bali in 1950, where he decided to reinvent his look as India’s bad boy, modeling himself after his Hollywood idols Elvis and James Dean. His new look resulted in the hit film “Tumsa Nahin Dekha” with Pran (1957). In 1961 with the movie “Junglee” costarring Saira Banu, his career catapulted to super stardom. Since then, he had classic films like “Professor” (1962) with Kalpana, “China Town” (1962) with Helen, “Rajkumar” (1964) with Sadhana, “Kashmir Ki Kali” (1964) with Sharmila Tagore, “Teesri Manzil” (1966) with Aasha Parekh, “An Evening in Paris” (1967) again with Sharmila Tagore, “Brahmachari” (1968) with Mumtaz, “Prince” with Vyjayanthimala and the memorable “Andaz” (1971) with Hema Malini.
Why He’s Sexy: Shammi Kapoor is sexy because of his energetic screen presence, this is apparent when watching him dance. He had Elvis’s hair and Hazel eyes that would melt the hearts of his female fans. If you’re in any doubt of how sexy this man was at the peak of his career, watch him shake his groove thang in “Aaja Aaja Main Hoon Pyaar Tera” in “Teesri Manzil,” you’ll see exactly what I mean.
His Impact on Bollywood: As an actor, Shammi had more songs than his female costars because he knew how important well depicted songs were to the success of his films. He also introduced a new word to Indian pop culture, “Yahoo” in his famous song “Chahe Koi Mujhe Junglee Kahe” in the movie “Junglee.” Shammi Kapoor has a website dedicated to the Kapoor family at www.junglee.org.in, which is an interesting look at the Kapoor clan.
Interesting Fact: Shammi personally used his voice on the track “Chahe Koi Mujhe Junglee Kahe” with his extra loud “Yahoo”! How cool is that?
10. Shashi Kapoor: Balbir Raj Kapoor, better known as Shashi, was born in Kolkata to the Kapoor clan on March 18, 1938. He is one of the most recognizable faces from Bollywood to do crossover films within the UK and Hollywood. In India, he’s done some amazing Bollywood films and held his own during the Amitabh Bachchan era. He is also a theater actor and balanced commercial film projects along with doing art house films. He’s most memorable movies are “Waqt” (1965) with Sadhana, “Jab Jab Phool Khile” (1965) with Nanda, “Sharmilee” (1971) with Raakhee and “Roti Kapada Aur Makaan” (1974) with Zeenat Aman. In 1975, Shashi shocked audiences with his amazing performance in “Dewaar” opposite then new comer Amitabh Bachchan. This was the start of many successful movies the two would do together and they were known as one of the most memorable duos in Bollywood history. He also appeared in “Kabhie Kabhie” with Amitabh in 1976, “Trishul” (1978), “Kala Patthar” (1979), “Suhaag” (1979), “Shaan” (1980) and in “Silsila” (1981). As a lead, he’s appeared in landmark films like “Chor Machaye Shor” (1974) with Mumtaz, “Satyam Shivam Sundaram” (1978) with Zeenat Aman, “Heat and Dust” (1983) with Madhur Jaffrey, “New Delhi Times” (1986) with Sharmila Tagore and “The Deceivers” (1988) with Pierce Brosnan.
Why He’s Sexy: Shashi is sexy because of his striking features and disarming smile. Like the rest of the Kapoor family, Shashi has blue eyes and the Kapoor family fame behind him. He frequently played the romantic lead in various films, which made him a heartthrob with female fans.
His Impact on Bollywood: As mentioned before, Shashi is a crossover actor and was smart enough to seek work outside of Bollywood when he couldn’t play an action hero. He sought age appropriate roles instead of trying to play a college kid at age 45, like some actors of his time.
Interesting Fact: Shashi Kapoor became a Bollywood actor to help raise his family; he also used the money earned at the box office for his theater company and art house films.
9. Rishi Kapoor: Rishi Kapoor is the second son of Raj Kapoor and was the teen heartthrob of the 1970′s. Born in Mumbai on September 4, 1952, his films were a stark contrast to box office rival Amitabh Bachchan who was known as the “angry young man” of the 70′s. He was known as the Prince of Romance, who sang and danced to win his lady loves. He won India’s National Award for his performance in “Mera Naam Joker” in 1970 when he was just 18 years old. He later took the industry by storm in the groundbreaking film “Bobby” (1973) with Dimple Kapadia, played the tragic lover Kais in “Laila Majnu” (1976) with Ranjeta, “Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin” (1977) with Kajaal Kiren, “Amar Akbar Anthony” (1977) with his wife Neetu Singh and “Sargam” (1979) with Jayaprada. He also appeared in the Subhash Ghai blockbuster “Karz” (1980) with Tina Munim, “Naseeb” (1981) with Hema Malini, my all time favorite film “Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai” (1982) with Padmini Kolhapure, “Yeh Vaada Raha” (1982) with Poonam Dhillon and Tina Munim, “Prem Rog” (1982) also with Padmini Kolhapure, “Coolie” (1983) with Rati Agnihotri, “Saagar” (1985) with his “Bobby” costar Dimple Kapadia, “Rahi Badal Gaya” (1985) with Shabana Azmi and Padmini Kolhapure, “Chandni” (1989) with Sridevi, “Henna” (1991) with Zeba, “Deewana” (1992) with Divya Bharati, and the brilliant film “Damini” (1993) with Meenakshi Sheshadri.
Why He’s Sexy: Rishi Kapoor was sexy because he was a fashion icon, sporting the latest fashion at the height of his career. He had the trademark Prince like features of the Kapoor clan with curly hair and pale skin. Since he is known as the Prince of Romance, he’s been the object of female fantasies for over 25 years.
His Impact on Bollywood: Rishi Kapoor has been the launching pad for some of Bollywood’s most influential actresses. He starred in the classic love story “Bobby” (1973) with Dimple, which was her debut film, Kajaal Kiren in the movie “Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin” (1977), Neetu Singh in “Amar Akbar Anthony” (1977), Jayaprada in “Sargam” (1979), Tina Munim in “Karz” (1980) and even launched Tabu’s career in 1994 with “Pehla Pehla Pyaar.” For 25 years he was the lucky mascot for aspiring actresses because of his ability to draw box office crowds.
Interesting Fact: On December 12, 1973, the New York Times featured an article about “Bobby.”
8. Sanjay Dutt: Sanjay Dutt is the son of Sunil Dutt and Nargis. Born on July 29, 1959, his debut film was “Rocky” (1981) with Tina Munim, which was an overnight sensation. A few of his other major films are “Naam” (1986) with Poonam Dhillon, “Thanedaar” (1990) with Madhuri Dixit, whom he dated. Together they starred in films like “Saajan” (1991) and the infamous “Khal Nayak” in 1993. In the 90′s his career came to a halt when he was charged with possession of armed weapons and served jail time. After his release, he completed his pending projects and starred in “Sanam” (1997) with Manisha Koirala, “Daud” (1997) with Urmila Madtonkar, “Vaastav” (1999) with Namrata Shirodkar, for which he won awards for, “Mission Kashmir” (2000), as Hrithik Roshan’s father and received critical acclaim for “Munnabhai MBBS” (2003). He is now filming the sequel to Munnabhai and is also in the movie “Dus” (2005) with Abhishek Bachchan.
Why He’s Sexy: Sanjay is sexy because of his bad boy image; he also has this quality that makes women want to save him from himself. His romance to Madhuri was well published and was the cause of much scandal because Madhuri was Bollywood’s sweetheart while Sanjay was Bollywood’s bad boy. He is proof that even good girls can’t resist a bad boy.
His Impact on Bollywood: Sanjay Dutt is the first Bollywood actor to have a criminal record, which is known on an international level. Non-resident Indians can remember the day he was arrested and the possible speculations that he was involved with the Air India bombings. Since then, Sanjay Dutt has turned his life around and has stayed away from trouble.
Interesting Fact: Sanjay Dutt’s movie “Sanam” was originally supposed to be released in 1993, but was shelved for four year because of his prison term. One of the song’s lyrics listed Bollywood’s hottest actress in a dream sequence performed by Sanjay Dutt. They changed the song because a few of the actresses were no longer in the industry, which had drastically changed in the four years he was gone.
7. Vinod Khanna: Vinod Khanna was very sexy in his time, which is why he has good looking sons, Akshaye and Rahul Khanna. Born in Peshawar on October 6, 1946, he took the industry by storm with his masculine looks. Like his equal Amitabh Bachchan, he too was an angry young man, but was the thinking man’s angry young man, always in deep thought. He acted in a string of hit films opposite Amitabh and was also a box office hero. Together, they acted in classic films like “Kunwara Baap” (1974), “Zameer” (1975), “Hera Pheri” (1976), “Parvarish” (1977), “Khoon Pasina” (1977), “Amar Akbar Anthony” (1977), and “Muqaddar Ka Sikandar” (1978). On his own, he’s had breakthrough films like “Purab Aur Panchhim” (1970) with Saira Banu, “Mera” (1979) with Hema Malini, the sexy love triangle “Qurbani” (1980) with Zeenat Aman, “Kudrat” (1981) with Hema Malini, “Chandni” (1989) with Sridevi, “Jurm” (1990) with Meenakshi Sheshadri, “Lekhen” (1990) with Dimple Kapadia, “C.I.D.” (1990) with Juhi Chawala, and the Indo American film “Leela” with Dimple in 2002.
Why He’s Sexy: Vinod Khanna is sexy because of the cleft in his chin and he’s also a Man’s man. Even though he was one of Bollywood’s action heroes, he also played the tragic hero, which made women fall at his feet.
His Impact on Bollywood: Vinod Khanna initially started his acting career as a villain and made the successful crossover as hero in “Man Ka Meet” (1968). Even though He and Amitabh acted in five films together, he was also his box office contender. Not many actors could face the heavyweight Amitabh at the box office; it was truly a clash of titans. In recent times, Vinod Khanna is an Indian politician, which seems to be a trend for former Bollywood actors.
Interesting Fact: At the height of his career, Vinod Khanna left India for the US to become a monk in Oregon under the Osho Rajnish Ashram. He stayed in Oregon for five years and then made his comeback and remarried. Vinod Khanna is an actor who’s done it all.
6. Dharmendra: Dharmendra Deol, better known as “Gharam Dharam” Dharmendra, was another box office contender for the Big B. Born on December 8, 1935 in Sahniwal, Punjab; he’s the father of Sunny, Bobby and Esha Deol. Not only was he one of Bollywood’s greatest action heroes, he was super funny! He was a romantic hero who married one of the most sought after actresses in Bollywood, Hema Malini. During his career, even though he was nominated for remarkable performances, he never won a Filmfare Award until his 1997 Lifetime Achievement Award. He’s acted in outstanding films like “Phool Aur Patthar” (1966) with Meenakumari and “Anupama” (1966) with Sharmila Tagore but had a string of unbelievable hits with his current wife Hema Malini. He was one of the few actors in his time that banked from the success of romantic thrillers in a male dominated industry. Together they acted in classic films like “Sharafat” (1970), “Tum Haseen Main Jawaan” (1970), “Naya Zamana” (1971), “Raja Jani” (1972), “Seeta Aur Geeta” (1972), “Jugnu” (1973), “Dost” (1974), and the best film made in Bollywood History: “Sholay” (1975). On his own, he’s acted in amazing films, “Yaadon Ki Baaraat” (1973) and “Dharam Veer” (1977) both with Zeenat Aman.
Why He’s Sexy: Dharmendra is sexy because he is known as Bollywood’s He-Man. He had super strength with a sensitive smile that caused many teenage girls to lust after him. He also had great comic timing, which made him totally erectable.
His Impact on Bollywood: Dharmendra will forever be immortalized as Veeru in “Sholay.” Who can forget the famous water tower scene where he drunkenly threatens to end his life if Basanti’s aunt disapproves of their marriage; that scene speaks volumes for the impact Dharmendra has had on Bollywood.
Interesting Fact: The Hema Malini-Dharmendra romance not only helped catapult their careers into super star status, it also resulted in their marriage. They are known as the best on and off screen couple of all time.
5. Salman Khan: Salman Khan is also known as one of Bollywood’s bad boys, since he’s always getting into trouble with the law. Born on December 27, 1968 in Indore, India, he is the son of epic script writer Salem Khan, who co-wrote “Sholay” (1975), “Dewaar” (1975) and “Don” (1978). He had a small role in his first film “Biwi Ho To Aisi” (1988) staring Rekha. A year later, Salman created Khan Mania, with the super success of “Maine Pyar Kiya” with Bhagyashree. He’s also acted in classic films with Madhuri Dixit like “Saajan” (1991), “Dil Tera Aashiq” (1993) and the blockbuster sensation “Hum Aapke Hain Koun” (1994). He’s had a string of hits with Kajol in “Karan Arjun” (1995), “Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya” (1998) and “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” (1998). Salman has reaped the benefits of acting in family dramas like “Hum Saath Saath Hai” (1999), “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam” (1999) with then girl friend Aishwarya Rai, “Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega” (2000) with Preity Zinta and Rani Mukherjee and “Mujhse Shaadi Karogi” (2004) with Priyanka Chopra. He also starred in “Lucky: No Time for Love” (2005) with Sneha Ullal, “No Entry” (2005) with Bipasha Basu and is in a film with his current girlfriend, Katrina Kaif “Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya” (2005).
Why He’s Sexy: Salman Khan is sexy because he’s shirtless in almost every film, showing off his rock hard body. He also has an innocent face with expressive eyes that captivates women’s hearts. Salman Khan was one of India’s pin up actors, especially after the success of “Maine Pyar Kiya”; teen girls both in India and beyond had posters of him all over their walls. People Magazine also voted him as one of the seventh best looking in the world during the peak of his career in 1999.
His Impact on Bollywood: He’s also pushed the boundaries with thought provoking films like “Love” with Revathi about a struggling Hindu musician who falls in love with a Christian girl, “Khamoshi” (1996) another Hindu/Christian love story with Manisha Koirala and the controversial dramas “Chori Chori Chupke Chupke” (2001) with Rani and Preity, and “Tera Naam” (2003) with Bhoomika Chawala about intercaste relationships and “Phir Milenge” where he plays a person infected with the AIDS virus.
Interesting Fact: Salman is one of the three King Khan’s of Bollywood, aside from Shah Rukh and Aamir. He’s also close friends with Sanjay Dutt and like him, has served jail time. He’s also a personal trainer for Anil Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan, apart from training Hrithik Roshan. His stepmother is also the vivacious Helen, one of Bollywood’s greatest dancers.
4. Aamir Khan: Aamir Khan started out as a child actor in the classic film “Yaadon Ki Baaraat” (1970). Aamir Hussian Khan was born in Mumbai, on March 14, 1965. His father Tahir Hussian is the man behind classic films “Caravan” (1971), “Anamika” (1973), “Zakhmee” (1975), and “Tum Mere Ho” (1990). After acting in “Yaadon Ki Baaraat,” he took a break from Bollywood and went onto becoming a Tennis Star for Maharasthra, India. At age 21, he met and fell in love with Reena, who was Hindu and eloped with her because of their different religious backgrounds. During the time of his first role as a lead actor in “Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak” with then newcomer Juhi Chawala (1988), no one knew of his marriage until actress Pooja Bhatt during the filming of “Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin,” publicly broke the news. Because of this public scandal, there’s a scene in “Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak” during the song “Papa Kehte Hain,” where his wife Reena Dutta is an extra. After the success of “Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak”, he acted with box office Queen Madhuri Dixit in the super successful “Dil” (1990). From there, he was known as the second of the three King Khans because of the major sensations of “Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar” (1993) with Ayesha Jhulka, “Hum Hain Rahi Pyaar Mein” (1993) with Juhi Chawala, “Andaz Apna Apna” (1994) with Karisma Kapoor, “Akele Hum Akele Tum” (1995) with Manisha Koirala, “Rangeela” (1995) with Urmila Madtonkar, “Raja Hindustani” (1996) with Karishma Kapoor, “Ishq” (1997) with Kajol, “Ghulam” (1998) with Rani Mukherjee, “Sarfarosh” (1999) with Sonali Bendre, “Mann” (1999) with Manisha Koirala, the Oscar nominated “Laagan” (2001) with Gracie Singh and the ground breaking film “Dil Chahta Hai” (2001). Currently, he is working on “The Rising” with Rani Mukherjee, “Rang De Basanti” with Sharmila Tagore’s daughter, Soha Ali Khan (filming) and is also in “Paint it Yellow” scheduled to be released this year.
Why He’s Sexy: Aamir Khan is sexy because of his boyish charm and being called the Indian version of Tom Hanks. Throughout his career, he constantly reinvented his style, creating fashion trends. His cropped hair in the movie “Dil Chahta Hai” can still be seen on South Asian men throughout the world. He is also even better looking off camera.
His Impact on Bollywood: Aamir Khan is very selective about his choice of films, which makes him one of Bollywood’s finest actors. He stunned international film critics with his chilling performance as “The Ice Candy Man,” in Deepa Mehta’s “Earth” (1998) with Nandita Das. He also produced the Oscar nominated “Laagan,” written and directed by Ashutosh Gowariker. He also won the Padma Bhushan, India’s version of the Nobel Prize 2003 for his contribution to the Indian government.
Interesting Fact: Abhishek Bachchan was initially offered the role of Bhuvan played by Aamir Khan in “Laagan” but turned it down. I bet he’s kicking himself because of that!
3. Shah Rukh Khan: Shah Rukh Khan is the reigning King Khan of the millennium. Born on November 12, 1965 in Delhi, he started his acting career in the TV serial “Fauji” and the Hindi soap opera “Circus.” His first hit films were the classic “Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen” (1992) with Juhi Chawala and “Darr” (1993). He then went onto the Hindi remake of “A Kiss Before Dying” in the murder suspense thriller “Baazigar” with Kajol in 1993. “Baazigar” was the first time he and Kajol paired up and caused a super sensation within the industry. They paired up again in “Karan Arjun” (1995) and in one of the best films made in the 1990′s, “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge” (1995). He then went onto hits like Subhash Ghai’s “Pardes” (1997) with Mahima Chaudhry, “Koyla” (1997) with Madhuri Dixit, “Yes Boss” (1997) again with Juhi Chawala, “Dil To Pagal Hai” with Karisma Kapoor and Madhuri Dixit, “Duplicate” (1998) with Juhi Chawala, “Dil Se” (1998) with Manisha Koirala, and “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” (1998) with Kajol and Rani Mukherjee. In this current millennium, he carried on his reign as box office king in “Mohabbatein” (2000) with Aishwarya Rai, “Asoka” (2001) with Kareena Kapoor and the Yash Chopra family drama, “Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham” (2001) with Kajol and the Hindi remake to Saratchandra Chatterjee’s “Devdas” (2002) with Madhuri Dixit and Aishwarya Rai. In 2003, he starred in “Chalte Chalte” with Rani Mukherjee, which took a look at the trails and tribulations of marriage. He also starred in “Kal Ho Naa Ho” with Preity Zinta playing a terminally ill person. In the last year Shah Rukh Khan has acted in fantastic films like “Main Hoon Na” (2004) with Sushmita Sen and in choreographer Farah Khan’s production “Veer Zara” with Preity Zinta and the touching film “Swades” (2004) with Gayatri Joshi. He is also promoting his current adaptation of a Rajastani folk tale “Paheli” with Rani Mukherjee and is in the remake of “Don,” originally played by Amitabh Bachchan.
Why He is Sexy: Shah Rukh Khan may not have traditional handsome looks, but he is known for making his female fans skip a beat. He is sexy because of the romantic roles he plays and his charming ways. It’s hard not to fall in love with him when you see him in “D. D. L. J,” “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” and “Veer Zara.” In his films, he is every girl’s fantasy, someone who will love you despite life’s adversities.
His Impact on Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan has filled the gap left behind by Rajesh Khanna as the romance king. He is the Amitabh Bachchan of the 90′s and the new millennium. He is constantly attempting to change the boundaries of Bollywood, either by choosing different scripts or with his many film production companies. He often works with his female friends Kajol, Juhi Chawala and Madhuri Dixit, which is why they always had great on-screen chemistry.
Interesting Fact: Time Magazine named Shah Rukh Khan as one of Asia’s 20 heroes under 40 in 2004.
2. Amitabh Bachchan: Who is more suited to have the number one spot on DesiClub.com’s Bollywood Top 25 Male Sex Symbol list than Amitabh Bachchan?! Amitabh Bachchan has influenced so many actors and actresses, not to mention the millions of fans. Born on October 11, 1942 in Allahabad, his family is connected to both the Nehru and Gandhi political families. His first Bollywood endeavor was “Saath Hindustani” in 1969, where he played poet and freedom fighter Anwar Ali during Portugal’s occupation of Goa in the 1960′s. After having a bit part in “Saath Hindustani,” he used his distinctive baritone as Bhuvan the narrator, in “Bhuvan Shome” in 1969. Amitabh finally had a chance to showcase his acting talent in the heart wrenching film “Anand” with Rajesh Khanna in the lead role. He played Dr. Bhaskar Banerjee (aka Babu Moshai), who learned how to live life to the fullest after treating a terminally ill patient, played by Rajesh Khanna. After a few bit parts as a supporting actor, Amitabh branched out by playing his first negative role as Kumar Sen in “Parwana” (1971) with Yogeeta Bali. In 1972, he starred in the classic film “Bombay To Goa” as Ravi Kumar with Aruna Irani. “Bombay To Goa” features the memorable song “Dekha Na Haye Re,” sang by Kishore Kumar, who also makes a guest appearance in the film. This was one of the first incidents where Kishore Kumar, who normally sang for Rajesh Khanna, did a playback song for Amitabh. It wasn’t until the 1973 hit film “Zanjeer” with his then future wife, Jaya Bhaduri, Amitabh stunned movie goers with his first lead role as Inspector Vijay Khanna. There he played a person who was traumatized because he witnessed his parents murder. “Zanjeer” is the first glimpse viewers got as Amitabh played the role of an angry young man. In the film “Bandhe Haath” with Mumtaz in 1973, he played his first double role, as Shyamu and Deepak, which laid down the ground work for many of his double roles. After the successful Jaya and Amitabh paring in “Zanjeer,” they teamed up again in the movie “Abhimaan” (1973) as a couple torn up by fame. He and Jaya acted in classic films like “Mili” (1975), “Chupke Chupke” (1975), and “Sholay” (1975) and took a break as an on screen couple until the controversial film “Silsila,” where life mimics art as the film’s plot capitalizes on the off-screen Rekha/Amitabh love affair. After “Abhimaan,” Amitabh again teamed up with his “Anand” co-star Rajesh Khanna in “Namak Haram” (1973), which inevitably catapulted his career into super stardom. This was also the first time Amitabh paired up with Rekha, who was Amitabh’s off screen love interest for many years. In 1974, Amitabh acted in the classic film “Majboor” costaring Parveen Babi, whom he also did many films with. His performance in the film is known as one of his best. Aside from classic films “Dewaar” (1975), “Kabhi Kabhi” (1976) and “Trishul” (1978) in the 1980′s, he ruled the box office with “Mr. Natwarla” (1979) with Rekha, “Shaan” (1980) with Parveen Babi and the movie “Laawaris” (1981). In this film, Amitabh creates history by doing playback singing for one of his most memorable songs “Mere Angne Mein,” where he dresses in women’s clothing. He also starred in classic 80′s films “Naseeb” (1981) with Hema Malini, “Namak Halaal” (1982) with Smita Patil, where his signature song in the film is “Pag Ghunghroo,” sung by Kishore Kumar; “Satte Pe Satta” (1982) also with Hema Malini, “Shakti” (1982) with Raakhee and the infamous “Coolie” (1983) with Rati Agnihotri, where he had a near fatal injury while doing his own stunts. After spending time in the hospital, he continued to act in films like “Nastik” (1983) with Hema Malini and “Sharaabi” (1984) with Jayaprada. In the 90′s Amitabh acted in a few films, which didn’t do so well at the box office. He still had a few hits like “Agneepath” (1990) with Mithun Chakraborty and “Khuda Gawah” (1992) with Sridevi. In the mid 90′s Amitabh went from hero to father figure with his roles, which were age appropriate. His first role as a father was in “Major Saab” (1997) as Ajay Devgan’s father. He continues to play family patriarchs with movies like “Mohabbatein” (2000) as Aishwarya Rai’s father, Akshay Kumar’s father in “Ek Rishtaa” (2001), Shah Rukh Khan’s father in “Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham” (2001), Anil Kapoor’s father in “Armaan” (2003), and the neglected father in the movie “Baghban” where he’s reunited with his “Naseeb” costar Hema Malini. In the movie “Aithbaar” (2004) with Bipasha Basu and John Abraham, his role of a father attempting to save his daughter from an abusive boyfriend is mind blowing. His most recent role as a father figure was where he played Shah Rukh Khan’s father in “Veer Zara”, which got him a nomination for the 2004 Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor.
Why He’s Sexy: Amitabh is sexy because he is 6’3″ and still looks amazing in his 60′s. Those of us who watched his movies as small children or while growing up have seen him mature into the distinguished gentleman he is. He’s always worn the latest fashions and still dances step for step with actors half his age. He is also sexy enough to have two of the most beautiful women in Bollywood as off-screen love interests, his wife Jaya Bachchan and Rekha, whom he’s done over 10 films with.
His Impact on Bollywood: Amitabh Bachchan is the most popular actor in the world. In the year 2000, he was voted actor of the millennium according to the Guinness Book of World Records. He’s the first Asian actor to have a wax likeness in Madame Trousseau’s Museum. Aside from the movie “Laarwaris,” he’s lent his singing voice to two other movie songs “Range Barse” for “Silsila” and “Padosan Apni Murgi Ko Rakhna Sambhal” for the movie “Jaadugar” (1989). He is also a vegetarian and has campaigned for PETA.
Interesting Fact: He is the game show host for “Kaun Banega Crorepati,” the Indian version of “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?”
1. Rajesh Khanna: Rishi Kapoor may have been the Prince of Romance, but Rajesh Khanna is the King of Romance. No one in the history of Hindi films could compete with his title. Rajesh Khanna has a repertoire of fantastic films, also with the most memorable songs sang by Kishore Kumar along with the compositions of R. D. Burman. Jatin Khanna, better known as Rajesh Khanna was born on December 29, 1942 in Amritsar. He initially had bad skin and was shorter than most actors, but had women writing him love letters in blood. He’s acted in “Do Raaste” (1969) with Mumtaz, “Kati Patang” (1970) with Aasha Parekh, “Anand” (1970) with then new comer Amitabh Bachchan, “Andaz” (1970) with Hema Malini, “Namak Haram” (1973) also with Amitabh Bachchan, “Mehbooba” (1976) with Hema Malini and also in “Kudrat” (1981), “Souten” (1983) with Tina Munim, “Agar Tum Na Hote” (1983), “Hum Dono” (1985) with Hema Malini and Reena Roy. Of all the Bollywood beauties he’s worked with, nothing could compare to the success of the Rajesh Khanna-Sharmila Tagore pairing. Together they had a string of hits like, “Aradhana” (1969), “Safar” (1970), “Amar Prem” (1971), “Maalik” (1972), “Daag” (1973), “Raja Rani” (1973), “Avishkaar” (1973) and “Tyaag” (1977). Even though he continued to act in the 1980′s, Rajesh Khanna no longer ruled the box office. He was dethroned by an angry young man named Amitabh Bachchan.
Why He’s Sexy: Rajesh Khanna is sexy because of his charismatic smile and the sensitive characters he played. His fans were so in love with him to the point that they would end their lives because they couldn’t have him. When Rajesh Khanna married Dimple Kapadia, women reportedly committed suicide because they were grief stricken.
His Impact on Bollywood: Rajesh Khanna movies are known for their amazing soundtracks. With the winning combination of RD Burman’s music and Kishore Kumar’s voice, Rajesh Khanna was the undisputed ruler of Bollywood. A few songs that are associated with Rajesh Khanna movies are “Mere Sapno Ki Rani” and “Roop Tera Mastana” from the movie “Aradhana,” “Zindagi Ka Safar” from the movie “Safar,” “Yeh Shaam Mastani” from “Kati Patang” and “Chingari Koi Bhanke” from “Amar Prem.” There are dozens of CDs, concerts and DVDs strictly devoted to the hits of Rajesh Khanna.
Interesting Fact: In the movie “Namak Haram,” starring Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan, the Big B became a super sensation simply because he acted in a film with Rajesh Khanna; this shows you how powerful Rajesh Khanna’s impact on Bollywood was.
There are romantic leading men and there are romantic leading men, but very few have taken cinematic love to legendary heights. While there might be other icons but Super-Star- Actor Rajesh Khanna after four decades, he is the ultimate true romantic legend.