Thank you for supporting this petition to Chief Minister, Municipal Commissioners of Mumbai, Thane & Navi Mumbai, and many others.
Copy of this letter was endorsed to 55 top builders, who are office-bearers of Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry (MCHI) and Builders Association of Navi Mumbai (BANM). Many of them are surely part of the inner circle that knows who killed Premnath Jha (or Premkant Jha, as per some newspapers), and also who attacked other RTI activists last year. More importantly, these 55 persons have an intimate knowledge and experience of how the rules and laws are being bent and corroded to further the interests of the builder community.
In the letter, we have urged the Chief minister and others to take cognizance of the special place of this circle of insiders in the scheme of things. They are morally responsible for a lot of wrongdoings. READ OUR LETTER BELOW, ALONG WITH THE LIST OF SIGNATORIES.
(Thank you GRV for your hard work and generosity.)
COPY OF LETTER SENT
29 February, 2012
Shri Prithviraj Chavan,
Chief Minister of Maharashtra,
Mantralaya, 6th Floor, Madame Cama Road,
Premnath Jha murder:
Investigate Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry & Mantralaya Officials;
Create Watch-List of Unscrupulous Builders to Safeguard Civil Society
Premnath Jha had sought details of several construction projects in the Vasai-Virar area; he was shot dead on February 24. The connection is plainly visible. Please take action based on this.
Sir, we frequently hear in private conversations with builders that all difficulties can be “managed” at Mantralaya, and project clearances can be obtained despite severe shortcomings. Civil society is paying the price for the administration’s leniency, and many RTI activists are losing their lives trying to expose the nexus between builders and state officials.
TO CURB THIS:
1) INVESTIGATE MAHARASHTRA CHAMBER OF HOUSING INDUSTRY (MCHI) and other bodies like Builders’ Association of Navi Mumbai (BANM). MCHI and other bodies are intimately aware of illegalities and criminal offenses being carried out by their members, along with friendly non-members abetting them. They facilitate and protect such builders, act as a respectable front for them before the government and media, lobby for loosening of rules and laws, and engage in expensive PR exercises to whitewash their image. Such associations conveniently ignore issues that should deeply concern them, such as the most recent murder of Premnath Jha, the assault on Yashwant Gavand and Santosh Daundkar in Jan-Feb 2011, and police harassment of Kamlakar Shenoy in July 2011. MCHI, BANM and other associations pretend to be unaware of blatant illegalities of their leading members Niranjan Hiranandani in Powai, Sukhraj B Nahar in Chandivali, Ramakant Jadhav (Shivalik Ventures) in Golibar and Bhupendra Shah (Bhumiraj Constructions) on Palm Beach Road. Please recognize MCHI and BANM’s pivotal role in such matters, and instruct police teams investigating Premnath Jha’s murder and other crimes to question their members. Also, check the spectacular growth of the personal assets of leading MCHI and BANM members, and their close family members.
2) PURGE CORRUPT OFFICIALS. Mantralaya and municipal corporations are sheltered places, as police investigating teams rarely go there. This must change, because all builders collaborate with government officials to commit irregularities and crimes. Scrutinize these key officials, and sack them if complicity is revealed:
• Executive Engineer, Building Proposal, MCGM and other municipal corporations
• Deputy Chief Engineer, Building Proposal
• Director, Engineering Services & Projects (Municipal Corporation)
• Senior Police Inspectors (who turn a blind eye to illegal construction & criminal activities following ‘orders from above’)
• District Collectors & Additional Collectors (Encroachment Removal)
• CIDCO’s Planning Department & Controller of Unauthorized Constructions
• Metropolitan Commissioner, MMRDA
• Secretaries of Urban Development and Revenue Department
Firstly, let vigilance officers examine suspicious decisions and unusual asset growth of persons who have held the above-mentioned posts in the last 10 years. Secondly, in connection with Premnath Jha’s murder and other crimes, please direct the police to interrogate these people. Both kinds of searches will surely reveal witnesses, evidence, important leads for cracking the case, and also, the hands of powerful politicians sheltering the builders.
3) CREATE A STATE GOVT PANEL ENABLING RTI ACTIVISTS TO DEPOSE & SUBMIT INCRIMINATING DOCUMENTS against builders and their henchmen. Based on such prima facie evidence, create a watch-list of builders suspected of rampant illegalities, criminal activities and tax evasion. Ban the builders on this watch-list. Also, make them the prime suspects whenever someone like Premnath Jha is killed or assaulted.
4) CALL 5-YEAR MORATORIUM ON NEW PROJECT APPROVALS and step in to strictly regulate this runaway industry. Otherwise, a huge housing bubble is growing alarmingly; and when this bubble bursts, prices will crash, triggering mass defaults of housing loans, banking failure and contagion to other sectors. From 2005 to 2012, property prices in MMR doubled, even as inventory of one lakh flats accumulated. It will take about four years to clear this unsold stock. The monopolistic cartel of builders, financiers and estate agent is corrupting the administration, destroying market mechanisms and artificially hiking prices. It is playing pass-the-parcel, forcing investors and banks to carry its business risks. When the music stops, there will be crushing losses all around, widespread business closures and unimaginable suffering to our families. The common man will be left pointing fingers at the government for its failure to foresee this disaster.
Sir, step in decisively to stop these dangerous games. Protect the lives of common people and the economy of Maharashtra. The killing of RTI activist Premnath Jha is an alarm bell, signaling an extremely dangerous conspiracy that is not only anti-people, but also anti-state. Please don’t ignore this alarm bell.
G R Vora,
E-mail : email@example.com
Plot - 275 / 3, Gope Nivas, Dr B A Road, Sion E, Mumbai – 400022.
Cell : 09869195785.
Plus 50 Signatories:
1. Krishnaraj Rao, Borivali East, Mumbai, Journalist, Cell: 9821588114 firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Mohammed Afzal, Human Rights activist, Andheri, Mumbai, Cell: 9820490435 email@example.com
3. Dolphy Dsouza – Cell: 9820226227, Santacruz E, Mumbai Businessman firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Jaynish Shah, Mumbai, Cell: 09324365226 email@example.com
5. Col. (Retd) N Thiagarajan, Vikhroli, Mumbai – 79, Retired, Cell : 09920541864 firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Ketan D Maniar, Santacruz W, Mumbai 54, Businessman, Cell: 09821034547, email@example.com
7. Pearl Goswami, Bandra W Retired Air-India Executive, Cell: 09892310000, firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Ashok S Rathod, Ghatkopar E, Mumbai, Cell: 09821741445, email@example.com
9. C. Ravindranath, Vidyanagar, Pune – 32 Cell : 09422314642 firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Jeetendra Ghadge, Mumbai, Activist, Cell : 09773119544, email@example.com.
11. Ainee Nizami, Goregaon, Mumbai, Cell : 09769226967, Journalist firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Advo. Rina Kamath, Colaba, Mumbai, Cell : 09820235034, Legal Practioner, email@example.com.
13. Utsal Karani, Activist, Hon. Secy. Janhit Manch, Juhu Scheme, Cell : 09324991030, firstname.lastname@example.org
14. Advo. Vinod Sampat, Legal Practitioner, Ghatkopar, Mumbai, email@example.com.
15. Kanwarjit Singh, Retired, Juhu, Mumbai, Cell : 09833062713, firstname.lastname@example.org.
16. Suresh Merani, Self employed, Bandra W, Mumbai 50, Cell : 09870012054, email@example.com.
17. Kishore samtani, Chembur, Mumbai 74, Retired, Cell : 09833517514, firstname.lastname@example.org
18. Melroy Fernandes, Naigaon W, Vasai, Master Mariner (F.G.), Activist, Cell: 09869378109. email@example.com
19. Dr. Emmanuel D’Silva, Mahim, Mumbai, Retired, Cell : 09930537002, firstname.lastname@example.org.
20. Vivek Mhatre, Nallasopara E, Thane. Civil Engineer, Cell : 07208853593, email@example.com,
21. Dr Y T Oke, Retd. Cons. Paediatrician, Sahar, Mumbai 99, Ph 022-28230286, firstname.lastname@example.org.
22. Dr Avisha Kulkarni, National Convenor – Deshbhakti Andolan, Goregaon, email@example.com.
23. S Balakrishnan, Secretary General – Deshbhakti Andolan, Chembur, Mumbai firstname.lastname@example.org.
24. Anand Desai, Psychologist, Cell : 09820602715, Andheri W, Mumbai, email@example.com.
25. Kisan Mehta, Chembur Mumbai 74, Senior environmentalist, Cell : 09223448857, firstname.lastname@example.org
26. Ms Priya Salvi, Chembur, Mumbai, Senior environmentalist, Cell : 09324027494 www.savebombaycommittee.org
27. Kanu Kamdar, Senior activist, Mumbai, Cell : 9821999401, www.savebombaycommittee.org
28. Niraj Mehta, Activist, Chembur, Mumbai, Cell : 09167474289, www.savebombaycommittee.org
29. Clarence Pinto, Santacruz, Mumbai, Activist, Cell : 09869649138, email@example.com.
30. Rajiv P Patel, Santacruz, Mumbai, Activist, Cell: 09833733365, firstname.lastname@example.org.
31. Manu M Pillai, Student RTI Activist, Dombivali E, Pin-421204, email@example.com.
32. Mazhar Vahanvaty, Bandra W, Mumbai – 50, Businessman, 09821818299, firstname.lastname@example.org.
33. Dr D N Verma, Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Retired, Cell : 09869485455, email@example.com
34. H B Charna, A concerned citizen, Mumbai, firstname.lastname@example.org.
35. Samir Pradhan, RTI activist, Thane, Cell: 09004593784, email@example.com.
36. Cynthia Fernandes, Bandra W, Mumbai 50, Activist, Cell : 09867075044 firstname.lastname@example.org.
37. Navin H Pandya, Malad, Mumbai, Senior activist, email@example.com.
38. Vasant patil, Kandivali E, Mumbai – 400101, Engineering Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org.
39. Milind Kotak, Dadar, Mumbai, Activist, Cell : 09820643510, email@example.com
40. Binoy J Vallarian, Borivali, Mumbai, Service, Cell : 09029004050, firstname.lastname@example.org.
41. Manohar Sabnis, Advisor, Ghatkopar, Mumbai, Cell: 09819016816, email@example.com
42. Manish Modi, Vile Parle, Mumbai, Businessman, Cell: 09821438180, firstname.lastname@example.org
43. Rajendra J Thacker, Borivali West, Businessman, Cell: 09224427969, email@example.com
44. Smita R Gaglani, A concerned citizen, Khar West, Mumbai, Cell : 0914651897, firstname.lastname@example.org
45. Prashant Uikey, Mulund, Mumbai, Service, Cell: 09821936000, email@example.com
46. Subhash Baswekar, Pune, RTI activist, Cell : 9223516920, firstname.lastname@example.org
47. Reggie Dias, Santa-Cruz (E), Mumbai, email@example.com, 9869384304
48. Chinmayi Mehta, Bandra West, Mumbai, Business firstname.lastname@example.org
49. Bhushan Pandurang Malgaonkar, Wadala, Advocate, 9820866206 email@example.com
50. Rajeev Krishnan, Hanuman Nagar Kalyan (E), Self-Employed firstname.lastname@example.org
Copies endorsed to:
1. Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh
2. UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
3. Home Minister of Maharashtra R R Patil
4. Director General of Police, Maharashtra
5. Principal Secretary, Urban Development Deptt, Mantralaya,
6. Principal Secretary, Revenue Department, Mantralaya
7. Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Subodh Kumar
8. Thane Municipal Commissioner R A Rajeev
9. Navi Mumbai Municipal Commissioner Vijay Shantilal Nahata
10. CIDCO Chairman Pramod Hindurao
11. MMRDA Metropolitan Commissioner Rahul Asthana
12. 41 office bearers of Maharashtra Chamber of Housing Industry (MCHI)
13. 15 office bearers of Builders Association of Navi Mumbai (BANM)
Full list of MCHI & BANM office-bearers are below.
Chamber of Housing Industry (MCHI)
Bhavan – II,
Floor, 18, V. Thackersey Marg,
Immediate Past President
- Sunil Mantri,
Sunil Mantri Realty Ltd., Sunil Mantri Realty Ltd., GA-1,
35, New Marine Lines,
Mumbai – 400020
- Vimal Shah,
S. Phadke Marg, Near Hotel Regency, Andheri (East),
Lifestyle Ltd, Nirmal Lifestyle Mall,
3rd Floor, Multiplex Building,
L.B.S. Marg, Opp. Nirmal Nagar,
Mulund (W), Mumbai 80.
- Mayur Shah Builders
& Developers, Shop no 4, Aalap apartments,
Road, Kandivali West, Mumbai 67
- Nayan Shah,
Building, 3rd Floor,
Office, L.B.S. Marg, Vikhroli (West), Mumbai 400 083
- Deepak Goradia,
Dosti Group, Lawrence & Mayo House,
276, D.N. Road, Fort,
- 400 001
Boman Irani – President (MCHI
Mira Virar City Unit), Maker Bhavan – II,
Floor, 18, V. Thackersey Marg,
Marine Lines, Mumbai – 400020.
Hon. Joint Secretaries
- Rasesh Kanakia,
Kanakia Spaces Private Ltd, 215 Atrium 10th floor, Next to
Courtyard by Marriot Hotel, Opposite Divine Child High School,
Andheri-Kurla Road, Andheri East, Mumbai 400059
10. Harish Patel, RB House, Off Andheri-Kurla
Road, MIDC Crossroad ‘B’, JB Nagar, Andheri East, Mumbai 400059.
Shah – President (MCHI Thane Unit), Everest Developers Pvt Ltd, 5th floor, Muchchala
Polytecnic, Anandnagar, Ghodbunder Road, Thane West, Mumbai 400601
Mohanani, Ekta World, 401, Hallmark business plaza, off
western express highway, Near Bandra Kurla complex, Kalanagar,
Bandra - East, Mumbai - 51
Patel, Neelkanth Group, Fine
House, 5th Floor, Anandji Lane, Next to Bhaveshwar Market, M.G. Rd.
Ghatkopar (E), Mumbai-400 077
P. Bhagtani, Model
Town Chs, Gulmohar Cross Road, Juhu,400049.
- Sukhraj Nahar,
Nahar Enterprises, Mahalaxmi Chambers, 22 Bhulabhai Desai Road,
Mumbai - 400 026
- Pujit Aggarwal,
Orbit Corporation, The View, 165 Dr. Annie
Besant Road, Worli, Mumbai 400018
& Omkar Esquare, 5th Floor, Eastern Express Highway, Sion (East),
Mumbai - 400022
K. Raheja Constructions,
Construction House B,
623 Linking Road,
Opp Khar Telephone Exchange,
Mumbai 400 052
- MCHI Kalyan-Dombivli Unit), Ajmera Realty &
Infra India Ltd, 2nd floor, Citi Mall, Link Road,
Vanguard Realty Pvt
4th Floor Dhiraj Chambers,
9 Hazarimal Somani Marg,
Mumbai 400 001
Kalpataru Ltd, 101,
Kalpataru Synergy, Opp. Grand Hyatt, Santacruz (E), Mumbai
Laxmi Narayan Residency, Unnathi Gardens III,
Opp. Ma Niketan, Pokharan Road No.2, Thane(W) - 400610
- Vikas Walawalkar,
207, Land Mark Centre, Opposite City Pride
Cinema, Pune-Satara Road, Pune
- Jayesh Shah
Shree Naman Group,
C-31 Bandra Kurla Complex,
Bandra (E), Mumbai 400051
Karma Stambh, Opp
LBS Marg, Vikhroli
3rd Floor, Platina Plot No. - C - 59, Bandra
Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai – 400051
401/501/601 Shreepati Arcade,
August Kranti Marg, Mumbai-400036
Consultants Pvt Ltd,
196 Turner Road,
Opp. HP Petrol Pump, Bandra West, Mumbai 400 050
Sanghvi Group Of
Dr. B. A. Road Byculla (E)
Mumbai - 400 027
V N Sphere, 3rd Floor, Opp. Shoppers Stop, Linking Road, Bandra(West), Mumbai
– MCHI Thane Unit),
Ashar IT Park | Site - Sales Office, Jayshri
Baug, Road No. 16 Z,
opp. Agriculture Stop,
Wagle industrial Estate, Thane - 400 604
– Kalyan-Dombivli Unit), Milestone Group,
Spring Avenue Club House Road
Opp KDMC B-Ward Office,
Khadakpada Kalyan (West) 421301
– Mira Virar City Unit), Sanghvi Group Of
Sanjana Mansion, Dr BA
Mumbai - 400 027
– Raigad Unit),
405 - 407, Persipolis, Sector 17, Plot No.
74, Vashi, Navi Mumbai - 400 703
– Navi Mumbai Unit), Haware Engineers &
Builders Pvt Ltd
413 - 416, Vardhaman Market,
Sec-17, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
Acme Group of
Acme Ghar, Off V M Road,
Rasraj Restaurant, K D Road,
Parle West, Mumbai - 400056
Deshmukh Deshmukh Builders Pvt
209 Udyog Bhavan, Sonawala Road, Goregaon (E),
Mumbai – 400063
Munot, Kalpataru Ltd, 101,
(E), Mumbai 400055
Hiranandani Developers Pvt. Ltd., Olympia,
Hiranandani Gardens, Powai,
Mumbai - 400 076
Ajmera Realty &
Infra India Ltd
2nd floor, Citi
Mall, Link Road,
L. Raheja, K Raheja Group
House ‘B’, 2nd flr.
Khar Telephone Exchange, 623,Linking Road, Khar, Mumbai 052
Association of Navi Mumbai (BANM)
M C Sunny – National Builders
308-309, Presipolis Premisis Socy.,
Plot 74, Sector – 17, Vashi, Navi
Senior Vice President
- Bhachubhai Patel
Second floor, Big Splash,
No. 78 & 79, Sector 17, Vashi, Navi Mumbai- 400 705
- Manish Bathija
B/7, Ankur CHS Ltd,
Behind Municipal School, Powai, Mumbai 400076
- Devang Trivedi
Next to HDFC Bldg,
Vashi, 400 703, Navi Mumbai
Choice Group, 117-118,
Central Facility Build. No.1, A.P.M.C, Sect- 19,
Masala Market,Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
- Hemant Lakhani
Classic Group, 211, Nirman Vyapar Kendra,
Sector -17, Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Nemchand Chheda
C-4, Big Splash, Sector-17,Vashi,
Navi Mumbai 400 705
- Abdul Rahim Khatri
Crescent Construction Co,
527, Arenja Arcade, Sector-17,
Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- E. V. Thomas,
212, Vardhaman Chambers,
A -wing , Sector -17,
Vashi, Navi Mumbai 400703
- Jayant Parikh,
JP Builders, 227 Shiv centre,
Sector-17, Above Hotel Vishwajyoti,
Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Mukesh Mathukiya
Dev Darshan Complex, Shop no.4, Plot no.23,
Sector-19, Kharghar, 410210, Navi Mumbai
- Govind Patel,
c/o 1 Ashish Entartaiments,
C-2-1,Room no - 01, Sect- 2, Opp- Abbott Hotel,
Vashi, Navi Mumbai
- Rasik Chauhan, Bhoomi Homes Pvt Ltd.
26/ 1st floor, Cristal plaza, Hiranadani Complex,
Sect- 7, Kharghar ,
- Vasant Bhadra, Shirawala
Estate Developers, K-49, Phase-2,
APMC Market, Sector-19,
Vashi, 400703, Navi Mumbai
- Haresh Chheda
Shah & Chheda Group
Shop No. 4, Mahavir Ornate,
Plot No. 13 / B, Sector - 11, Koparkhirane,
400709, Navi Mumbai